Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Oz attack: Family worried

Mr M.K. Khan’s family in Hyderabad received news of the racial attack on Monday night. “We were very worried when we came to know of his condition. Particularly his mother went into depression after hearing the news,” said Mr Khan’s cousin, Mr Syed Maqbool Ahmed, Mr Khan received injuries under the right eye, Mr Ahmed said. He was taken to the Mardoon Hospital, where he was administered several stitches.

Mr Khan’s father is retired police inspector and suffers from paralysis. Mr Khan finished his BCom (Computers) at St Paul’s Degree College and left for Australia one-and-a-half years ago.

In New Delhi, India conveyed concern over the continuing attacks on its students, and Australia assured that it was making efforts in all “seriousness” to stop the assaults. The issue came up during the meetings that Australia’s secretary of department of education, Ms Lisa Paul, had with the Union minister for overseas affairs, Mr Vayalar Ravi,
“We sensitised our Australian friends about our concerns,” sources said adding that both sides agreed that “concrete and visible measures” should be taken to stop these assaults.

Mr Ravi said things are under control. “Police is taking action one after another; maybe there are stray incidents here and there,” Ravi said in New Delhi.
He added that the Indian High Commission had been in constant touch with the Australian government to monitor the steps taken for the safety of Indian students.

Ms Paul told mediapersons that Australia “absolutely condemned the appalling attacks that have taken place on some Indian students.”

No comments:

Post a Comment