Come monsoons, and youngsters complain of a host of spinal problems. Thanks to the monsoons and waterlogged roads filled with potholes, motorists in the city who commute on two-wheelers fall prey to chronic back aches, cervical spondylitis and even damaged discs.
Orthopaedic surgeon, Dr Somasekhar Reddy admits that the season does spell doom for bikers. “Travelling on waterlogged roads can be quite strenuous for the back. The discs between the vertebrae in the spinal cord usually act as shock absorbers and cushion the spine. But sudden jerks can pass the impact to the spine and induce back spasms or cause a rigid back in even those who do not have any history of a bad back. For people with a chronic back pain, this can further damage the discs,” he says, adding that the people who complain of back problems are alarmingly young.
Mohammad Noorul Ameel, a student of IIPM, who commutes from Yapral to Banjara Hills everyday confesses that riding his bike in the monsoons is no less than an ordeal. “I travel nearly 45 kms everyday. Due to this, I have developed chronic back pain. Every time I hit a pothole or a speed breaker, the sudden impact sends a sharp pain shooting up my spine,” he says.
The worst affected are those who ride sports bikes or modified versions of regular motorbikes. Dr Vijay Mohan a physician at Care Hospital says that sports bikes are best avoided during the rains. “These bikes are designed in such a way that the rider has to stoop forward while riding. This posture does more harm than good. If you are sitting in an upright position, the body weight is transferred directly to the lower body. But when you are bent, the impact is transferred at an angle and this can damage the spinal cord. The problems are more pronounced during monsoons due to the slippery, bumpy roads,” he says.
Surender Prasad, a biker admits that his sports bike adds to his back troubles. “I have one of the latest sports bikes. Though it looks stylish, it’s not very comfortable. It has low handles, and I have to bend forward. Travelling long distances is highly uncomfortable and in the monsoons I have to be extra careful. This only adds to the pressure on my back.”
Even lighter, gearless vehicles don’t provide any respite. P. Divya, a student of St Francis, says, “I drive an 80 cc scooterette but the shock absorbing capacity isn’t good. When it rains, I have to navigate the slippery Jubilee Hills roads as a result of which I have developed cervical spondylitis. I’ve been advised to drive a car during monsoons.”
If avoiding a bike ride is not an option, then preventive measures must be taken before permanent damage, warn doctors. “Wear a back belt if you have to drive long distances everyday, this protects your discs. Adapting one posture for long can lead to muscle fatigue. Since we tend to sit in an upright position for most of the day, the back muscles get tired. Exercise your back muscles every day,” adds Dr Reddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment