Ever since the intelligence bureau put Hyderabad on “high alert”, a growing sense of fear has gripped the city. malls, multiplexes and eateries wear a deserted look and SMSes urging people to be “alert” and “stay safe” are doing the rounds. From avoiding crowded venues to cancelling weekend plans, jittery Hyderabadis think it’s best now to stay indoors.
Madhavi Ladapally, choreographer, Trendy Steps, who had to cancel her dance show after the cops sent out an alert, says, “Weeks after the venue was booked, the management approached me and asked me to cancel my show on the advice of cops who were afraid that any public gathering could become a soft target. Apparently, they have been asking every event organiser to do the same. The fact that the situation can be this bad is unsettling,” she says.
A few wary ones have even cancelled their trips due to the terror scare. A. Mrudula, a student from the US who is here for her wedding says, “I thought I’d go to Tirupati to seek blessings after my wedding but now I’m sure that I want to stay away as the temple town is also on high-alert. This turn of events is quite unexpected,” she laments.
For once, even youngsters are not complaining about the strict curfew enforced on them by worried parents. Mitika Vazir, a student of Hamstech Institute of Fashion Design and Interior Design says, “My folks gave me a strict warning about stepping out in the evenings. I have been asked to stay away from all the crowded areas to be on the safe side. And I’m definitely not arguing this one time. The fact that terrorists may be on the prowl anywhere and that cops have asked people to be on guard is freaky.”
The party animals in the city are also lying low as chain emails doing the rounds claim that “upmarket areas and are under threat this time around.”
Sravan, fashion designer, says, “I’ve been sending SMSes to all my friends trying to convince them to stay indoors. I also cancelled my partying plans for a few days. Putting your safety at stake just for a few hours of fun is just not worth it.”
City cops agree it’s wise to be alert. “There’s no need to panic yet, but it’s always advisable to be on your guard and co-operate with the police when it comes to frisking and checking. Dial 100 if you notice someone suspicious. We have also urged people to not let out their houses on rent to strangers without a proper background verification,” says K. tripati, joint commissioner, co-ordination and security.
No comments:
Post a Comment