Where other filmmakers count the number of friends they’ve cultivated following the success of their movies, director Madhur Bhandarkar adds a few more enemies on his side each time his movie releases.
Now, with his film Heroine under way, is he worried that it might be his very own film frat that will go all hostile on him? “If it does, I won’t be surprised,” he says, “The corporate world vented its spleen on me, fashion and page three folks have still not forgiven me, and the beggars’ mafia went ballistic alleging that I’d eaten into their earnings. Receiving flak for my films has become a given.”
Madhur argues that too much is read into his films. “Films are meant solely to provide entertainment. There are no lessons to be learnt and and inferences to be drawn. Has anyone become dutiful and law abiding after seeing a film that espouses these very virtues? Films can do no more than influence fashion, decor, and hairstyle trends. No reason, then, why the microscopes should come out every time my film releases,” he complains.
About the movie, he says, “It is not about Meena Kumari and Madhubala. It is a contemporary film and, like my other slice-of-life offerings, this too reveals the underbelly of the industry and its well-kept secrets.”
And how is his Dil To Bachcha Hai Ji (DTBHJ) coming along? With a child-like enthusiasm, he says, “People are waiting to see if I can really deliver a comedy. But, humour is very much my forte. I’m a terrific mimic, and you can feel my funny bone. This will be a comedy where you’ll be required to bring your brains with you.”
Of his DTBHJ cast, Madhur says, “Shruti Haasan has turned in a remarkable performance as have Shazahn Padamsee and Shraddha Das. I’ve also benefitted from the positive publicity that that the pairing of Ajay Devgn and Emraan Hashmi has received in Once Upon A Time In Mumbai. And Omi Vaidya is outstanding.”
Talk veers to Chennai, and Madhur says, “I love south Indian food, and one must-do when here is to feast on local delicacies. A midnight stroll on the Marina beach is another activity on my to-do list. Chennai and Hyderabad are way ahead of Mumbai when it comes to film-related technical know-how.”
Is he likely to tap into Kollywood talent for his films? “I pick my actors primarily based on my gut-feel. They could be rank newcomers or established stars, but if I feel they’ll do justice to my characters, they are on. I think Bollywood is now looking towards Kollywood for new faces, and, to my mind, Suriya will be a very successful crossover star because he’s very versatile.”
So, when he’s not making movies, how does he keep himself busy? “I have few friends in the industry. In my downtime, you’ll mostly find me curled up with a book. I love reading biographies. My favourites are those of Dalai Lama, Osama Bin Laden, and Einstein.”
What next after DTBHJ and Heroine? “It’ll definitely be a film on a gay love affair. The subject has me all keyed up.” Knowing Madhur, his research work on this will be up to scratch, but is he willing to lose yet another constituency?
No comments:
Post a Comment