Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bollywood reacts; feels terrible about Shah Rukh’s detention episode

Soon after Shah Rukh Khan got detained for as long as two hours early on Saturday at the Newark airport in the US for having ‘Khan’ as his last name, the Bollywood bigwigs came out reacting strongly to the episode. Being SRK’s close friend and also the director of his upcoming film ‘My Name Is Khan’, Karan Johar said, “I’m shocked and upset...feeling terrible for Shah Rukh.”
While speaking to a news channel, Karan said, “Initial media reports said that he was ‘arrested’, it was awful. There’s a sense of humiliation and embarrassment. I mean being who he is, I don’t understand why he had to go through something like this.”

On the other hand, reacting strongly to what happened with Shah Rukh, actress Priyanka Chopra poster on Twitter, “Shocking, disturbing and downright disgraceful. It’s such behaviour that fuels hatred and racism. SRK`s a world figure for God’s sake. GET REAL!!”

Music director Vishal Dadlani (of Vishal-Shekhar fame) also posted, “This is plain silly!! I mean, a quick internet search would tell them what they need to know about SRK!! Paranoia breeds stupidity, I guess!”

Meanwhile, talking to a news channel about the incident, Shah Rukh said, “The US has developed religious paranoia over the years. My guard was also denied a visa because he has the same last name as mine. They said I can’t use my phone.”

Shah Rukh was released after Indian embassy officials vouched for him. He was in the US to attend Independence Day celebrations.

Several Bollywood celebs are in the US for Independence Day celebrations, including Katrina Kaif, Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan.

No comments:

Post a Comment