Sunday, August 23, 2009

Double joy in Hindu-Muslim homes

With Ganesh Chathurthi and Ramzaan falling on the same day this year, the whole city is filled with religious fervour. But this double joy is reflected best in homes where Hindu-Muslim couples are gearing up to usher in both the holy occasions together.
Shilpa Khan, daughter of R.M. Gonela, political secretary, says she can’t wait for her first Ramzaan with her husband Imran Pathan and his family. “I studied in a muslim college where I used to watch my friends observe Ramzan with great fervour. Back then though, Ramzan for me was all about iftar. this year however, will be special. I will get a feel of the deeper significance of the holy month. I will also join my husband in his roza. My in-laws will help me understand every little aspect of this month.”
Shilpa’s husband Imran Pathan, a software engineer, meanwhile, is gearing up to celebrate his first Ganesh Chathurthi at his wife’s place. He says, “We will visit my wife’s family in the morning and spend time with my family in the evening.”
special secretary K. Prabhakar Reddy’s daughter Visha K., aka Faria, who is married to Nisar Ahmed, principal secretary Jannat Hussain’s son, says she has been observing the roza for four-five years now. “The only difference this year is that I have Nisar’s family members with me while I fast during the holy month. He’s always been part of my festivals. As part of his family now, I want to be a good Muslim bahu. After we break the fast in the evening, we will visit my parents where Nisar will taste my mom’s modaks and dahi vadas. Nisar adds, “our families are important to both of us and we want them to be happy that we are together.”
The trick is to love and accept each other’s faiths, families and beliefs, says Sheik Sadiq Ali who has been “happily married” to Usha Dayal, assistant director, agricultural department for the past 18 years.
“We just need a reason to celebrate. My wife joins me in all my festivals and I do the same when it comes to hers. She cannot fast with me due to health reasons, but she is an excellent cook and whips up the best iftar meals. We complete each other in every sphere of life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment